Thursday 7 October 2010

Personal Response - Ronin

Whilst I enjoyed the majority of it, I decided that Ronin is not my type of film. At the beginning, I tried to engage with the characters and understand their motives and relationships with each other, but I found that a lot of the story was hidden from the audience. The film is about a group of former agents trying to get hold of a suitcase, but what is in the suitcase, we do not know. I found that the lack of knowing was engaging to begin with, because it made me want to find out what was going on, and why so many people were after it. However, after a drawn-out story lasting over 2 hours, I'd lost interest unfortunately. It's clear that the director had a desired effect, which I'm sure works well on the intended audience, which I would say would be adult men. The car chases are very well portrayed, and knowing that no special effects are used makes it even more spectacular, plus Robert de Niro is brilliant as ever. But unfortunately, these kind of crime thrillers don't tend to interest me.

No comments:

Post a Comment