Saturday 1 January 2011

Films I've seen recently

Day of the Dead - I liked that it had different concepts to the usual zombie movie. They could be tamed, like the main zombie in the film, Bub, who provides moments of comedy. The film also deals with sexism and human relationships, and a lot of the time, the zombies weren't even the main focus point. However, I had previously seen the 2008  remake, and I'm going against the popular opinion by preferring that version. I find it scarier and quicker paced.






Zodiac - a wonderfully made David Fincher film, with a great cast and engaging plot. The murder scene by the lake was a stand out scene for me, because it felt real, and knowing that it's based on true events makes it all the more hard-hitting.








American Psycho - I didn't really know what to expect from this film, but I really enjoyed it. Christian Bale is great as Patrick Bateman, I can't imagine anyone else playing such a complex yet often hilarious character.










Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn - I haven't seen 'The Evil Dead', but I'd always heard that the sequel is significantly better, and that you don't need to have seen the first film to understand this one. It's a great horror comedy; Sam Raimi is a brilliant director, I found the cinematography in this film unique and effective. Plus, Bruce Campbell is hilarious.






Megamind - After seeing the trailers, I was fairly reluctant about going to see this, but my friend insisted so I went with her. I ended up enjoying it a lot, Megamind is a lovable character and to put it simply, the film was cute.













Zombieland - I'd been keen to see this for a long time, because everyone says it's an "american Shaun of the Dead". Generally, I liked it, but for a film with 'zombie' in the title, I didn't think there were many zombies featured! The actors were great though, I love Abigail Breslin, she's gonna be big in the future! Also, Bill Murray's cameo was hilarious.










Evil Dead 3 (Army of Darkness) - More gory madness, with occasional great moments. It didn't have the same claustrophobic feel of the cabin in Dead by Dawn though.






Harry Potter and the Deathly Harrows Part 1 - I loved it, hence I went to see it twice. I'm really glad the final book is split into 2 films, because this was paced just right. The score by Alexandre Desplat is beautiful and made the sad scenes much more heartbreaking. I really liked the scene where Hermione and Harry danced together, although it wasn't in the book.



Saw VI - The  Saw series is getting slightly ridiculous now, yet I still watch each one. The opening scene was one of the hardest scenes in any of the movies to watch, even my Dad had to cover his eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment